First thing’s first: I do have an actual name, and that name is Greg. When I became an instructor, I didn’t want to get confused with our company’s other Greg, so I went with the initials. But you can call me Greg if you want — I promise not to make a spectacle.
I’m a San Francisco native and resident who got swept up in the social-coaching racket a few years ago, and these days I’ve traded in my super-hero instructor’s outfit for that of a blogger. This outfit’s not as shiny, but I get spotted in bars less this way.
Even when I was a geeky guy who had few friends and couldn’t buy a date, I had a passion for discussing the subject. Now I’m a geeky guy with a great social life, and I had a blast helping guys improve their lives in person. If you add them all, I’ve worked with roughly 90 students in cities including San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin, Atlanta, Seattle, Vancouver and Portland — not to mention all the free advice I’ve given to guys who e-mailed me from almost every continent. I was James Bond without the fancy cars — saving men from social catastrophe and meeting femme fatales along the way.
A few random facts about me:
- I’m a journalist by trade, mostly in sports. I’ve followed sports intensely since I was a kid, and I’m that guy yelling at the TV whenever the Broncos, Celtics, USC or Giants are on. My favorite sport to play is basketball — they nicknamed me “The Glove,” after Gary Payton. Sadly, I don’t have much offense to back up my defense.
- I was, shall we say, very inexperienced with women until my mid-20s. I didn’t go to my senior prom, and I can tell all kinds of embarrassing stories about trying to court girls in college and beyond. (Ask me about Disneyland sometime).
- Not everyone can see this right away, but I’m really an introvert. I need plenty of alone time to balance out my social time, and the women I meet almost always talk more than I do. That’s the way I like it.
- My favorite movies are “Star Wars” and “The Godfather.”
- My favorite song is “Love Will Tear Us Apart” by Joy Division.
- My favorite current TV show is “Mad Men” I named my curvy red electric guitar Joan after the curvy redhead from that show.
- I don’t need alcohol to dance to 80s music and indie rock.
- I’m notorious for eating large amounts of food, even though I weigh 150 pounds dripping wet. I’ve won two Krispy Kreme eating contests, in fact.